Thursday, January 29, 2009

Most of the Time

I had a better Christmas than you did because I got the new Bob Dylan bootleg CD in my stocking! This CD is blowing my mind - how can someone maintain such a high quality of song writing for nearly five decades? One track that really stands out to me is "Most of the Time." I first heard this song on the High Fidelity soundtrack, and I immediately loved it. This "new" version is stripped down, without producer Daniel Lanois's "swamp murk." (quote taken from the liner notes written by Larry "Ratso" Sloman.) Compare....

Most of the Time (Original Version).mp3
Buy: Oh Mercy (1989, remastered 2004) or High Fidelity Soundtrack (2000)

Most of the Time (Alternate Version).mp3
Buy: Tell Tale Signs: the Bootleg Series Vol. 8 (2008)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agreed, the alternate version is lovely -- but isn't it missing the element of denial, which comes across so powerfully in the original version? Sorry, I prefer the song that appeared on the 1989 album.