Sunday, January 4, 2009

Musical New Years Resolution

My 2009 Musical New Years resolution is to really dive into the collective works of Will Johnson. In addition to releasing solo material, Johnson is the driving force behind the bands Centro-Matic and South San Gabriel. While Centro-Matic tends to be rock/alt country, South San Gabriel is mostly folk, country, or slow rock. Johnson put out a highly rated double album this year under both band names called Dual Hawks. I am embarrassed to admit that I never got around to listening to this album. Centro-Matic's 2006 release Fort Recovery was also very highly regarded, and it has sat in my MP3 player untouched. This year I resolve to spend some quality time with Will Johnson's music. You heard it here first.

Will Johnson - As Victims Would.mp3
Buy: Vultures Await (2004)

Centro-Matic - Remind Us Alive.mp3
South San Gabriel - Kept on the Sly.mp3
Buy: Dual Hawks (2008)

Also check out an interview with Johnson plus some live tunes from out friends over at Daytrotter.

Here's an embarrassing list of other 2008 releases that were highly rated and/or recommended to me that I never got around too.
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
Chris Knight - Heart of Stone
The Gaslight Anthem - Th 59' Sound
NQ Arbuckle - Xok (this one is especially embarrassing since they are from the city that I live in)
Slim Cessna's Auto Club - Cipher
Ryan Adams & the Cardinals - Cardinology
Paul Westerberg - 49:00
Sun Kil Moon - April
The Steeldrivers - The Steeldrivers (heard two tracks off of this one and loved them, I am ordering the disc right after I post this...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You definitely need to spend some time with Sun Kil Moon's April. Lost Verses is the best song of the year... you might want to purchase Mark Kozelek's Finally LP, too.

Unknown said...

Totally agree with DTR...great album!

Thanks!