Friday, August 7, 2009

Within Your Reach

The Replacements producer/manager Peter Jesperson:
We cut "Within Your Reach" during that secret solo Paul [Westerberg] session. And Chris [Mars] tried to play drums on it, and it just wasn't working. It didn't fit the song. And for some reason, [Suicide Commandos drummer] Dave Ahl had a drum machine there and we turned that on and [engineer Steve] Fjelstad mic'd it up and that's what we used for the song. (p.111)
Buy: The Replacements: All Over But the Shouting, An Oral History (2007)

Within Your Reach.mp3
Buy: Hootenanny (1983, reissued 2008)
I can't remember exactly, but I am pretty sure that this is the first Replacements song that I ever heard. It is also on the Say Anything Soundtrack (1989). I thought about Say Anything when I heard that John Hughes passed away yesterday, and even though Say Anything is a Cameron Crowe movie, the soundtrack rates up there with the Pretty in Pink soundtrack, both of which shaped my teenage years. More on Mr. Hughes tomorrow.

No comments: