Sunday, July 4, 2010

Independence Day

I'm just getting over my yearly bout of the summer plague, but I wanted to post something about the anniversary of when the country of my birth stuck it to those imperialistic bastards across the pond. Of course, now I am living in another commonwealth colony, and the Queen is even in town today for today's Pride parade (Not really, but I thought that was funny. Get it? Queen? Pride? OK, maybe not so funny.)

I'm reposting the same tunes I posted last year. They are songs that describe the hope, fear, love, pride, frustration, and joy about the country that is America.

Ray Charles
- America the Beautiful.mp3
Buy: A Message from the People (1972, reissued 2009)
The definitive version. If you listen to the Celine Dion version today, you lose your citizenship.

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers - American Girl.mp3
Buy: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (1976, reissued 2002)
My anthem.

Vigilantes of Love - America.mp3
From: V.O.L. (1996, out of print)
Questioning the country is a very important part of being a citizen of it.

Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band - This Land is Your Land.mp3
Buy: Live: 1975-85 (1986, reissued 1997)
The Boss's version of the Woody Guthrie classic speaks for itself.

Jimi Hendrix - Star Spangled Banner.mp3
Buy: Experience Hendrix: The Best of Jimi Hendrix (1998, reissued 2007)
I know everyone is posting this track today, but too bad. It rules!

1 comment:

greatbahen said...

VOL's America is one of my very favorite songs!! You get an internet high five for that one!!!