Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving Americano

I'm hanging in the Motor City today, still in my pajamas, drinking coffee, recovering from drinking my brother's beer last night, and being very thankful for all of you jokers who read my blog! Thanks for indulging in my vanity. I post the same every year on Thanksgiving, so here we go...

This isn't exactly a Thanksgiving song, the third verse perfectly describes the Rockstar family back in the day. I heard James McMurtry perform this song live in 2007 at the El Mocambo in Toronto, and he did the last verse about the Iowa guardsman going back to Iraq a capella. You could have heard a pin drop. One of the most incredible vocal performances I have ever seen.
Now granny she's yelling.
She's ready to eat.
She's havin' conniptions.
Cause they won't take their seats.
But she's got 'em all gathered
now under one roof.
With her camcorder loaded.
She's gonna get proof.
"But do you have to wear that?"
"Well I just don’t see why."
"Please pass the potatoes."
"Aw, eat shit and die."
"Did you hear about Ellen?"
"She’s leaving, you know"
"How 'bout those Packers?"
"Think it’ll snow?"
And the minute it's over
They'll scatter like quail.
Off down the freeway
in the teeth of a gale.
Silent and shattered
and numb to the core.
They count themselves lucky
they got through one more holiday.
Holiday.mp3
Buy: Childish Things (2005)


Eric Rhame is a folksinger from Duluth, Minnesota, who frequently writes about life in the upper Midwest, like how friggin' cold it is next to Lake Superior. This song is the only true Thanksgiving song that I know of, and it perfectly describes the Midwest family Thanksgiving experience. The other track has nothing to do with Thanksgiving, but I just like it! Thanks for letting me use your tunes Eric!

Thanksgiving Day.mp3
Tahoe to Texas.mp3
Buy: Timber and Steel (2008)

No comments: