Saturday, February 11, 2012

Somebody That I Used to Know

The only time I listen to the radio is when I drive. The only time that I drive is when I need something that is not accessible by the subway system (my curling club, Target, Ikea, other things in the 'burbs). I don't even own a car, and use a Zip Car maybe 3 to 4 times a month. The last two times I was oot and aboot I caught the song "Somebody That I Used to Know" by the Belgian-Australian artist Gotye. It's a catchy song - simple melody, easy lyrics, interesting instrumentation, and a guest verse by the New Zealand artist Kimbra. It's currently number three on the Billboard Alternative Charts (behind the Black Keys and the Foo Fighters). I went to check it out on YouTube, and found that the most fascinating video for the song is actually a cover. Watch Canadians Walk off the Earth covering "Somebody That I Used to Know" with ten hands and one guitar.



Compare that with Gotye's original. Not bad, eh?

1 comment:

Cowbelle said...

I had no idea this existed till I stayed with some friends with a three-year-old this weekend. We watched this version and the original and the Morning Becomes Eclectic version 90 times. I may or may not have just downloaded the single from iTunes.